Sunday, September 7, 2008

Whats In a Name?

Whats in a name? most people probably say nothing. But I say everything. I have been thinking about that today. As most of you know, my wife Traci and I are having our first child. He is due in less then 2 months. We are way excited! Its a boy of course. So we have been thinking a while about names. For a long time we couldn't decide on one. But finally we decided on one. Ian. Yeah we like Ian. So we thought we had our name. Ian Joshua Hawks. But then today while I was thinking about a lot of things I had a feeling. I started to think about our boy thats going to be born. I started to think about his name. Why? We had already picked out his name I thought. So I started to think about family. I love my family with all my heart. I am so thankful for my family. I am so thankful for my ancestors. They have always been very important to me. I always think, without them I wouldn't be where I'm at right now. They paved a path for me. What legacy am i going to leave for this world, I always think to myself. Now as my wife and I start our little family, what are things that i need to teach my little family. I definitely want them to know of there ancestors, there legacy. I've always looked up to my parents and grandparents so much. I've always for some reason looked up to my Grandpa's especially. They were such great men. If i could be at least half as good as them, then I think ill be ok. So all of this was on my mind today. Whats in a name? I started to think what is the best name for our first boy. Ian, yeah that feels good. But what about the middle name. Ian Joshua didn't seem right. So i started to think. A feeling came to me about Traci's dad. I have never met him in this life. Both of Traci's parents had passed away from cancer, when she was younger. But if you want to talk about a legacy. Bruce and Vicki Nichols left an awesome legacy. They taught there 2 daughters and 2 sons so much. I know they led by example. They had to of. Traci and her brothers and sister are the neatest people ever. They have come thru so much in there lives, They are such great examples to me. I' m so thankful for my beautiful wife Traci. I couldn't ask for anything more. So as I thought about a middle name. I thought of her dads legacy, my wifes legacy, our legacy. I would love to haver her dads name Bruce be our sons middle name. It sounds and means so much to me. Ian Bruce Hawks. Even though i have never met Bruce physically, I definitely know him. I know him thru the things he taught his young family, especially my wife. I couldnt ask for better in laws. Im definitely thankful for Bruce and Vicki Nichols. So there it is Ian Bruce Hawks. Even though our son will never meet his Grandma and Grandpa Nichols here on earth, he will definitely know who they are, and he will represent them well. SO WHATS IN A NAME? EVERYTHING!!!
Hopefully we all can do a little better in our lives, and leave a great legacy for others. You may never know how much of an impact you play in others lives.

11 comments:

RicAnn said...

Josh! It's nice to see you back in the blogging world. I love this little name aritcle, if you will. We're thinking of names for our little girl, you just gave me so much more to think about. You're going to be super fun, faithful, supportive, Dad! This is one lucky little guy.

Monica Polad said...

I love your post! That is such an awesome name. Little Ian is so lucky to have you and Traci as parents! I can't wait till he gets here. His name will mean a lot to him. I think he will love to be able to say he was named after his amazing grandpa. You should post a lot more because your posts are REALLY GOOD! LOVE YA LOTS!

LIZ said...

Can't wait to meet little Ian. He will probally be 6 months old before I see him in person. Love you both!

Unknown said...

JOsh, you are such a great guy. You really have a heart of gold. This was a beautiful post and I think the name Ian Bruce Hawks sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing this experience in your blog.

Love you guys!
Kelli

Acacia said...

Great post, Josh. Great name, too. It has been inspirational to me to see the impact Bruce had on his kids just by knowing them, yet never knowing him. Your guy will do will with his grandpa's name and the name you two love enough to bestow upon him!

P.S. Gimme a call and I can answer questions for you about the ORegon house.

Unknown said...

That was soo great to read. You seem like a really great guy. I wish thta we could be closer to get to know each other better...plus you would bring your awesome wife with. LOL

John and Kortney said...

Hey Josh! What a good post! John and I loved it! Just thought that we would say hello, and see how you are doing. We need to hang out soon.

Torrie said...

Josh, I clicked here from Traci's blog and even though I've only met you once, I'm so happy that Traci has you. I always felt like whoever she married would be the luckiest guy on earth (besides my husband of course!). She is awesome and you guys are so good together. Your happiness is obvious and little Ian will be blessed to be born into your family. I think Ian Bruce is a great name. He'll be proud to carry his grandpa's name. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Nicole Stenzel said...

Well you brought me to tears. So sweet, and knowing Bruce for as much time as I did I know he would be thrilled. Two grandsons with his name. What more could he ask for as a Grandfather. Josh I am so glad that you are a part of this family. You mean so much to Traci and I see that. I hope you know I don't think of you as my cousin's husband or my brother in law. I just think of you as my brother! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Josh that post was awesome!
You are such an amazing guy, Ian is so blessed to have you for his dad. You are a great uncle and I am sure that you will be even more amazing as a father.
I love the name by the way!
We can't wait to meet little Ian. You better bring him over to play with his "twin" LOTS!!!

benallredfamily said...

HI, wow that is so neat. I am so proud of you Josh. Is is so weird that I can learn things from a younger brother. You have such an awsome testimony. I love to hear you talk recently. It seems like you have really go a grasp on life. I hope someday I do. I love you!

Autumn